Welcome to the Forum

Join in-depth discussions of SFI news, products, programs, and more with your fellow SFI affiliates. Brainstorm and share tips and ideas. Start new threads. Get your questions answered 24/7, become a Forum Guru, and more!

Diagonal Alert Banner

Posted 4 days ago More by Vincent R.

While I appreciate the Leadership's attempt to improve the Astro Auction, I feel as though the introduction of the "Diagonal Banner" is an unwise addition. When AA was introduced, one of the key selling points of the concept was that participants would not become involved in a "bidding war" as they do in the regular auction. By placing a bid, as in a silent auction, no one would know what you bid and you would not be at the mercy of those with large TCredit balances. By giving us an alert that we have been "outbid," I am afraid that Astro Auctions will become nothing more than the bidding wars we are trying to avoid. Please reconsider the addition of this "improvement."
While I appreciate the Leadership's attempt to improve the Astro Auction, I feel as though the introduction of the "Diagonal Banner" is an unwise addition.

When AA was introduced, one of the key selling points of the concept was that participants would not become involved in a "bidding war" as they do in the regular auction. By placing a bid, as in a silent auction, no one would know what you bid and you would not be at the mercy of those with large TCredit balances.

By giving us an alert that we have been "outbid," I am afraid that Astro Auctions will become nothing more than the bidding wars we are trying to avoid.

Please reconsider the addition of this "improvement."
Vincent R.

United States

E365 Champion
Gold Fast-Track

Posted 4 days ago

I too and stumped are we supposed to keep rebidding. I like most changes but this one I am not sure about. What happens if we don't rebid do we just go back to playing PB auctions if this is going to be a regular thing. I wanted to do more to keep the VIP and try the AutoBid feature but to fight this too! Now what? Robert Taylor
I too and stumped are we supposed to keep rebidding. I like most changes but this one I am not sure about. What happens if we don't rebid do we just go back to playing PB auctions if this is going to be a regular thing. I wanted to do more to keep the VIP and try the AutoBid feature but to fight this too!

Now what?

Robert Taylor
6x SUPPORT
Robert T.

United States

E365 Champion

Posted 4 days ago

Dear Vincent, Thank you for sharing your views. There are advantages and disadvantages to this banner. But I utterly understand your consideration. I liked it as it was before as well. Now if I want to win an Astro Auction for TCredits I would have to bid more TCredits than I would get. I do not see the advantage as it would be cheaper to go and buy them directly at TripleClicks. In the Penny Auctions, there is always a chance to win the prize for a lower stake than the value of the prize. It was the same when Astro Auctions were released. We will see what the management considers. Have a great day. Kirsten
Dear Vincent,

Thank you for sharing your views. There are advantages and disadvantages to this banner. But I utterly understand your consideration.

I liked it as it was before as well. Now if I want to win an Astro Auction for TCredits I would have to bid more TCredits than I would get. I do not see the advantage as it would be cheaper to go and buy them directly at TripleClicks. In the Penny Auctions, there is always a chance to win the prize for a lower stake than the value of the prize. It was the same when Astro Auctions were released.

We will see what the management considers.

Have a great day.

Kirsten

SUPPORT
Kirsten R.

Germany

E365 Champion

Posted 4 days ago, edited 4 days ago 1 Reply

This is what Mr Gery said about those doubting the merits of this new feature, think about it this way [quote=1531639]For those doubting the merits of this feature, think about it this way... Let's say the high bid for a brand new smartphone was 30 TCredits...but you didn't know that and you bid 25...and ultimately lost out. The winner with his bid of 30 took home the item for 90% off retail (an excellent deal). Had you known the high bid, for just six more TCredits YOU could been the winner! You'd have likely been DELIGHTED, but instead you lost out on a great deal over $1.74 worth of TCredits (@ $.29 each).[/quote] With this, I think we all are good to go, No stopping until you become highest bidding in any auctions. Let us embrace this new feature and see how effective it will look like, The new feature really look great.
This is what Mr Gery said about those doubting the merits of this new feature, think about it this way

Gery posted:
For those doubting the merits of this feature, think about it this way...

Let's say the high bid for a brand new smartphone was 30 TCredits...but you didn't know that and you bid 25...and ultimately lost out. The winner with his bid of 30 took home the item for 90% off retail (an excellent deal). Had you known the high bid, for just six more TCredits YOU could been the winner! You'd have likely been DELIGHTED, but instead you lost out on a great deal over $1.74 worth of TCredits (@ $.29 each).

With this, I think we all are good to go, No stopping until you become highest bidding in any auctions.

Let us embrace this new feature and see how effective it will look like, The new feature really look great.
67x SUPPORT
Michael A.

Nigeria

E365 Champion
Guru Rank: #4

Posted 4 days ago More by Vincent R. 1 Reply

[quote=1532203]This is what Mr Gery said about those doubting the merits of this new feature, think about it this way [quote=1531639]For those doubting the merits of this feature, think about it this way... Let's say the high bid for a brand new smartphone was 30 TCredits...but you didn't know that and you bid 25...and ultimately lost out. The winner with his bid of 30 took home the item for 90% off retail (an excellent deal). Had you known the high bid, for just six more TCredits YOU could been the winner! You'd have likely been DELIGHTED, but instead you lost out on a great deal over $1.74 worth of TCredits (@ $.29 each).[/quote] With this, I think we all are good to go, No stopping until you become highest bidding in any auctions [/quote] Michael, I respectfully disagree with you. I understand the logic behind Gery's explanation, but this change is going against the basic premise of AA as it was originally presented to us. One of the advantages of the auction, as it is today, is that we DON'T know what the other folks are bidding and we have to take our BEST shot. I just don't want to get into a bidding war with the holders of large TCredit balances like I have so many times with the penny auctions. But then, that's just my opinion, for what it's worth!! LOL!! Have a GREAT weekend!!
Michael A. posted:
This is what Mr Gery said about those doubting the merits of this new feature, think about it this way

Gery posted:

Let's say the high bid for a brand new smartphone was 30 TCredits...but you didn't know that and you bid 25...and ultimately lost out. The winner with his bid of 30 took home the item for 90% off retail (an excellent deal). Had you known the high bid, for just six more TCredits YOU could been the winner! You'd have likely been DELIGHTED, but instead you lost out on a great deal over $1.74 worth of TCredits (@ $.29 each).

With this, I think we all are good to go, No stopping until you become highest bidding in any auctions

Michael, I respectfully disagree with you.

I understand the logic behind Gery's explanation, but this change is going against the basic premise of AA as it was originally presented to us. One of the advantages of the auction, as it is today, is that we DON'T know what the other folks are bidding and we have to take our BEST shot. I just don't want to get into a bidding war with the holders of large TCredit balances like I have so many times with the penny auctions.

But then, that's just my opinion, for what it's worth!! LOL!!

Have a GREAT weekend!!
Vincent R.

United States

E365 Champion
Gold Fast-Track

Posted 4 days ago More by Gery

[quote=1532210][quote=1532203]This is what Mr Gery said about those doubting the merits of this new feature, think about it this way [quote=1531639]For those doubting the merits of this feature, think about it this way... Let's say the high bid for a brand new smartphone was 30 TCredits...but you didn't know that and you bid 25...and ultimately lost out. The winner with his bid of 30 took home the item for 90% off retail (an excellent deal). Had you known the high bid, for just six more TCredits YOU could been the winner! You'd have likely been DELIGHTED, but instead you lost out on a great deal over $1.74 worth of TCredits (@ $.29 each).[/quote] With this, I think we all are good to go, No stopping until you become highest bidding in any auctions [/quote] Michael, I respectfully disagree with you. I understand the logic behind Gery's explanation, but this change is going against the basic premise of AA as it was originally presented to us. One of the advantages of the auction, as it is today, is that we DON'T know what the other folks are bidding and we have to take our BEST shot. I just don't want to get into a bidding war with the holders of large TCredit balances like I have so many times with the penny auctions. But then, that's just my opinion, for what it's worth!! LOL!! Have a GREAT weekend!![/quote] It's just a TEST...on a small number of our auctions. Please, I hate to see so many people getting unnecessarily worked up over this. Can we just see how it goes for a bit? If it turns out to be a bad idea, it'll be GONE I can assure you. But testing new things is how great things are discovered. Surely you can appreciate us not just sitting back and thinking everything we do is perfect but instead trying to make everything we do as great as it can be, yes?
Vincent R. posted:
Michael A. posted:

Gery posted:

With this, I think we all are good to go, No stopping until you become highest bidding in any auctions

Michael, I respectfully disagree with you.

I understand the logic behind Gery's explanation, but this change is going against the basic premise of AA as it was originally presented to us. One of the advantages of the auction, as it is today, is that we DON'T know what the other folks are bidding and we have to take our BEST shot. I just don't want to get into a bidding war with the holders of large TCredit balances like I have so many times with the penny auctions.

But then, that's just my opinion, for what it's worth!! LOL!!

Have a GREAT weekend!!

It's just a TEST...on a small number of our auctions. Please, I hate to see so many people getting unnecessarily worked up over this. Can we just see how it goes for a bit? If it turns out to be a bad idea, it'll be GONE I can assure you. But testing new things is how great things are discovered. Surely you can appreciate us not just sitting back and thinking everything we do is perfect but instead trying to make everything we do as great as it can be, yes?
Gery

United States

Posted 4 days ago 1 Reply

AA should be entirely different from PB auctions...No question of intimating someone with the information as "you are outbid"!! I agree...
AA should be entirely different from PB auctions...No question of intimating someone with the information as "you are outbid"!! I agree...
SUPPORT
Jaydeep M.

India

E365 Champion
Gold Fast-Track

Posted 4 days ago

For those of us that have been with SFI for many of years we love all the changes I can remember in the beginning with SFI where we all had to read the paper back books then the new changes with the online training and we earned points these it gurus are keeping us all interested with the changes I've seen so many changes over the year's and thank you Gary and all the others for all the great changes and keeping it interesting
For those of us that have been with SFI for many of years we love all the changes I can remember in the beginning with SFI where we all had to read the paper back books then the new changes with the online training and we earned points these it gurus are keeping us all interested with the changes I've seen so many changes over the year's and thank you Gary and all the others for all the great changes and keeping it interesting
Kurt L.

United States

Gold Fast-Track

Posted 4 days ago, edited 4 days ago More by Gery 1 Reply

[quote=1532247]AA should be entirely different from PB auctions...No question of intimating someone with the information as "you are outbid"!! I agree...[/quote] So just ignore the small number of auctions that display the high bid then. Meanwhile, what if bids DO get bigger on the auctions that display the high bid?...which means commissions for everyone get bigger. Why do so many seem to be so against testing things that can increase your commissions? [i]Are you not here to make money? Do you want us to not test new ideas and concepts that can grow your income?[/i] It's so discouraging to work so hard to try to improve commissions for everyone and get beaten up for it.
Jaydeep M. posted:

So just ignore the small number of auctions that display the high bid then. Meanwhile, what if bids DO get bigger on the auctions that display the high bid?...which means commissions for everyone get bigger. Why do so many seem to be so against testing things that can increase your commissions? Are you not here to make money? Do you want us to not test new ideas and concepts that can grow your income?

It's so discouraging to work so hard to try to improve commissions for everyone and get beaten up for it.
Gery

United States

Posted 4 days ago More by Vincent R. 1 Reply

[quote=1532313][quote=1532247]AA should be entirely different from PB auctions...No question of intimating someone with the information as "you are outbid"!! I agree...[/quote] So just ignore the small number of auctions that display the high bid then. Meanwhile, what if bids DO get bigger on the auctions that display the high bid?...which means commissions for everyone get bigger. Why do so many seem to be so against testing things that can increase your commissions? [i]Are you not here to make money? Do you want us to not test new ideas and concepts that can grow your income?[/i] It's so discouraging to work so hard to try to improve commissions for everyone and get beaten up for it.[/quote] Gery... A couple of observations... #1...I don't think that there is a single soul in this enterprise that doesn't appreciate the efforts of you and you staff to make SFI the best it can be. None of us would be were we are today without your leadership and I sincerely thank you for EVERYTHING that you have done, and continue to do, for ALL of us. #2...I certainly see the merits of testing things. However, this change was not presented to us as a test but rather as a fait accompli. Perhaps the communication could have been stronger? #3...If testing is the key, then perhaps the feedback of your customers can be a useful tool in judging whether or not to move ahead. Every month, you ask us to rate the job that SFI has done the previous month and EVERY month, I give you a "5" because I truly believe that you are doing exactly that. My evaluation will NOT waiver from previous ones! Thanks again Gery, for ALL that you do for us!!
Gery posted:
Jaydeep M. posted:

So just ignore the small number of auctions that display the high bid then. Meanwhile, what if bids DO get bigger on the auctions that display the high bid?...which means commissions for everyone get bigger. Why do so many seem to be so against testing things that can increase your commissions? Are you not here to make money? Do you want us to not test new ideas and concepts that can grow your income?

It's so discouraging to work so hard to try to improve commissions for everyone and get beaten up for it.

Gery...

A couple of observations...

#1...I don't think that there is a single soul in this enterprise that doesn't appreciate the efforts of you and you staff to make SFI the best it can be. None of us would be were we are today without your leadership and I sincerely thank you for EVERYTHING that you have done, and continue to do, for ALL of us.
#2...I certainly see the merits of testing things. However, this change was not presented to us as a test but rather as a fait accompli. Perhaps the communication could have been stronger?
#3...If testing is the key, then perhaps the feedback of your customers can be a useful tool in judging whether or not to move ahead.

Every month, you ask us to rate the job that SFI has done the previous month and EVERY month, I give you a "5" because I truly believe that you are doing exactly that. My evaluation will NOT waiver from previous ones!

Thanks again Gery, for ALL that you do for us!!
Vincent R.

United States

E365 Champion
Gold Fast-Track

Posted 4 days ago

[quote=1532384][quote=1532313][quote=1532247]AA should be entirely different from PB auctions...No question of intimating someone with the information as "you are outbid"!! I agree...[/quote] So just ignore the small number of auctions that display the high bid then. Meanwhile, what if bids DO get bigger on the auctions that display the high bid?...which means commissions for everyone get bigger. Why do so many seem to be so against testing things that can increase your commissions? [i]Are you not here to make money? Do you want us to not test new ideas and concepts that can grow your income?[/i] It's so discouraging to work so hard to try to improve commissions for everyone and get beaten up for it.[/quote] Gery... A couple of observations... #1...I don't think that there is a single soul in this enterprise that doesn't appreciate the efforts of you and you staff to make SFI the best it can be. None of us would be were we are today without your leadership and I sincerely thank you for EVERYTHING that you have done, and continue to do, for ALL of us. #2...I certainly see the merits of testing things. [b]However, this change was not presented to us as a test but rather as a fait accompli. Perhaps the communication could have been stronger?[/b] #3...If testing is the key, then perhaps the feedback of your customers can be a useful tool in judging whether or not to move ahead. Every month, you ask us to rate the job that SFI has done the previous month and EVERY month, I give you a "5" because I truly believe that you are doing exactly that. My evaluation will NOT waiver from previous ones! Thanks again Gery, for ALL that you do for us!! [/quote] The stream post did say testing: Hey, Astro Auction fans! [b]We're now testing a new feature[/b] for Astro for some auctions: On the auctions index, we'll be displaying the current high bid so you know exactly what it'll take to become the high bid. Also, if at some point someone has outbid you (minimum bid of 5), you'll see the diagonal alert banner (shown below) so you can re-bid if desired. We hope you like this new feature!
Vincent R. posted:
Gery posted:
Jaydeep M. posted:

Gery...

A couple of observations...

#1...I don't think that there is a single soul in this enterprise that doesn't appreciate the efforts of you and you staff to make SFI the best it can be. None of us would be were we are today without your leadership and I sincerely thank you for EVERYTHING that you have done, and continue to do, for ALL of us.
#2...I certainly see the merits of testing things. However, this change was not presented to us as a test but rather as a fait accompli. Perhaps the communication could have been stronger?
#3...If testing is the key, then perhaps the feedback of your customers can be a useful tool in judging whether or not to move ahead.

Every month, you ask us to rate the job that SFI has done the previous month and EVERY month, I give you a "5" because I truly believe that you are doing exactly that. My evaluation will NOT waiver from previous ones!

Thanks again Gery, for ALL that you do for us!!

The stream post did say testing:

Hey, Astro Auction fans! We're now testing a new feature for Astro for some auctions: On the auctions index, we'll be displaying the current high bid so you know exactly what it'll take to become the high bid. Also, if at some point someone has outbid you (minimum bid of 5), you'll see the diagonal alert banner (shown below) so you can re-bid if desired. We hope you like this new feature!
31x SUPPORT
Scott L.

Canada

Gold Fast-Track
Guru Rank: #2

Posted 4 days ago More by Marilynn D. 1 Reply

No offense to Gery or the staff that work hard on every potential change in the background, but this is one test that should be as short as possible. While I have seen silent auction bid sheets where you can see other people's bids in front of an item on the table, I've rarely seen them where you are allowed to go back and change your bid. I think bidding "blind" is a much less intimidating and far more encouraging way to have silent auctions in my personal opinion. While I understand the desire for higher commissions for everyone, we must not forget that we did see complaints about bidders never winning out against members who always seem to have a never-ending supply of TCredits. I thought Astro Auctions was geared to avoid that problem. These banners will unfortunately, return to that problem.
No offense to Gery or the staff that work hard on every potential change in the background, but this is one test that should be as short as possible. While I have seen silent auction bid sheets where you can see other people's bids in front of an item on the table, I've rarely seen them where you are allowed to go back and change your bid. I think bidding "blind" is a much less intimidating and far more encouraging way to have silent auctions in my personal opinion. While I understand the desire for higher commissions for everyone, we must not forget that we did see complaints about bidders never winning out against members who always seem to have a never-ending supply of TCredits. I thought Astro Auctions was geared to avoid that problem. These banners will unfortunately, return to that problem.
7x SUPPORT
Marilynn D.

Canada

| Edit settings