Grab up to 13,000 free, business-boosting CSAs when you advance your rank this month! Details HERE.

Welcome to the Forum

Join in-depth discussions of SFI news, products, programs, and more with your fellow SFI affiliates. Brainstorm and share tips and ideas. Start new threads. Get your questions answered 24/7, become a Forum Guru, and more!

Update Windows to protect against Meltdown and Spectre

Posted 8 months ago More by Gopakumar R.

Dear friends, good day to you all! I just want to share the following information with you. Do not panic; there are NO CASES of damage reported yet but, the possibility is out there. Take precautions and be safe! Have a blessed day! [i]Information shared by Matthew Jackowski (Windows and the Web Community):[/i] Just recently security researchers disclosed a vulnerability that affects most desktop processors and many mobile devices made in the last few years. It is also known as the [u]Speculative Execution and Indirect Branch Prediction Side Channel Analysis Method vulnerability.[/u] We don't know if anyone has actually made a virus that exploits this vulnerability, however don't wait around, update today. Direct information from Microsoft can be found here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073757/protect-your-windows-devices-against-spectre-meltdown [b]Side Note 1[/b]: If you use anti-virus software, Microsoft may block your upgrade. Check here for more info: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072699/january-3-2018-windows-security-updates-and-antivirus-software [b]Side Note 2[/b]: If you are using "old" hardware, Haswell generation or later CPU (circa 2015) and Windows 7, the fixes will cause a significant performance degradation. Check here for more info: https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/01/09/understanding-the-performance-impact-of-spectre-and-meltdown-mitigations-on-windows-systems/ [b]Side Note 3[/b]: Additionally you will likely need to patch your computer's BIOS to be fully safe. Unfortunately at the time of this post many system manufacturers have not released system patches yet.
Dear friends, good day to you all!
I just want to share the following information with you. Do not panic; there are NO CASES of damage reported yet but, the possibility is out there. Take precautions and be safe! Have a blessed day!

Information shared by Matthew Jackowski (Windows and the Web Community):

Just recently security researchers disclosed a vulnerability that affects most desktop processors and many mobile devices made in the last few years. It is also known as the Speculative Execution and Indirect Branch Prediction Side Channel Analysis Method vulnerability.
We don't know if anyone has actually made a virus that exploits this vulnerability, however don't wait around, update today.

Direct information from Microsoft can be found here: support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073757/protect-your-windows-devices-against-spectre-meltdown

Side Note 1: If you use anti-virus software, Microsoft may block your upgrade. Check here for more info: support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072699/january-3-2018-windows-security-updates-and-antivirus-software

Side Note 2: If you are using "old" hardware, Haswell generation or later CPU (circa 2015) and Windows 7, the fixes will cause a significant performance degradation. Check here for more info: cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2018/01/09/understanding-the-performance-impact-of-spectre-and-meltdown-mitigations-on-windows-systems/

Side Note 3: Additionally you will likely need to patch your computer's BIOS to be fully safe. Unfortunately at the time of this post many system manufacturers have not released system patches yet.

38x SUPPORT
Gopakumar R.

India

E365 Champion
Silver Fast-Track

Posted 8 months ago

Thank you Gopakumar, for this tip.
Thank you Gopakumar, for this tip.
18x SUPPORT
Nelson B.

United States

E365 Country Champion
Gold Fast-Track

Posted 8 months ago

Thank You Gopakumar R, for Educational, Inspiring post
Thank You Gopakumar R, for Educational, Inspiring post
Syed A.

India

E365 Country Champion

Posted 8 months ago More by Zoran V. 1 Reply

Dear Gopakumar R , Beautiful text for those who use a Windows , What is the recommendation for those who do not use them? All the best!
Dear Gopakumar R ,
Beautiful text for those who use a Windows ,
What is the recommendation for those who do not use them?

All the best!
289x SUPPORT
Zoran V.

Serbia

E365 Champion
Silver Fast-Track

Posted 8 months ago 1 Reply

Your post is quite relevant. Thank you, Gopakumar.
Your post is quite relevant.
Thank you, Gopakumar.
Ashok kumar V.

India

E365 Country Champion
Silver Fast-Track

Posted 8 months ago

Thank you Gopakumar for this usefull information
Thank you Gopakumar for this usefull information
Suzana K.

Macedonia

Posted 8 months ago, edited 8 months ago

Thanks for sharing. It's best to use a linux operating system. I'm working towards switching to linux. I will have a separate computer just for Windows stuff, but not keep vital information on it. I hope I will be able to operate my SFI business sufficiently in linux. All The Best
Thanks for sharing. It's best to use a linux operating system. I'm working towards switching to linux.

I will have a separate computer just for Windows stuff, but not keep vital information on it.

I hope I will be able to operate my SFI business sufficiently in linux.

All The Best
Amara C.

United States

Posted 8 months ago

Thanks or your insight.
Thanks or your insight.
SUPPORT
Francis C.

South Africa

E365 Country Champion

Posted 8 months ago

Hello, Gopakumar ! Business advice and help! Not everyone can be so benevolent. Thanks for shared. Let not disappear your openness to partners. With respect.
Hello, Gopakumar !

Business advice and help!

Not everyone can be so benevolent. Thanks for shared.

Let not disappear your openness to partners.

With respect.
SUPPORT
Хамзат У.

Russian Federation

E365 Champion

Posted 8 months ago

Thanks Gopakumar, IT tech , good info:smile:
Thanks Gopakumar, IT tech , good info
17x SUPPORT
Ronald C.

Trinidad And Tobago

E365 Champion
Silver Fast-Track

Posted 8 months ago

Thanks you Mr. Gopakumar, sir for the info.
Thanks you Mr. Gopakumar, sir for the info.
Bonnie W.

United States

E365 Champion

Posted 8 months ago

Thanks a lot for your this good work
Thanks a lot for your this good work
santosh a.

India

| Edit settings